Inside

DSC02261

WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge

On a trip to Portland, Oregon we took time to visit the iconic Voodoo Doughnuts. Although the local franchise has only been in operation since 2003, it’s garnered national attention from shows like Man v. Food, Unique Eats, Food Paradise and No Reservations.

Standing in line to get inside the tiny shop was an exercise in patience. We waited for nearly an hour in hot weather (which was also rather weird for the Portland area).

There were a few annoying moments as we waited for our turn. Having to stand by an overflowing dumpster was one of those. By this point we were beginning to wonder if the wait would be worth it.

Once inside the glaringly Pepto Bismol pink shop, it was a gawker’s paradise with weird memorabilia lining the walls.

It was finally our turn to approach the donut case, cash in hand (no plastic accepted here). We’d been perusing the menu on the wall for several minutes: Dirt Donut, Captain My Crunch, Voodoo, Memphis Mafia, the list went on (some were rather inappropriately named and shaped…use your imagination). We never did figure out what the old pair of shoes was doing in the bottom of the case.

I had waited for well over an hour to get my hands on one of Voodoo Doughnut’s most famous confections: the Maple Bacon Bar. It was absolutely delicious and in mere seconds I was licking the last of the frosting from my fingers (I can’t take credit for this photo).

When our journey to Voodoo Donuts was all said and done, I must say the wait to get inside the crazy little donut shop was most definitely worth the wait and the sign painted on the wall across the street seemed to make just a bit more sense.

If you are still curious about Voodoo Doughnuts, here’s a link to their website: http://voodoodoughnut.com

Becky Pickrel

Each week WordPress.com provides a theme for creative inspiration. The challenge is for me to upload my photos based on my interpretation of the theme and post them to my blog. If you want to see what fellow bloggers are posting for their photo challenges, just click the links below or go to http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/weekly-photo-challenge-inside/

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

16. Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside « Fenland Photos
  17. weekly photo challenge: inside « A Meditative Journey with Saldage
  18. Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | Autumn in Bruges
  19. Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside « beyondpaisley
  20. Inside: a photographic journey through India & Nepal | Cardinal Guzman
  21. 25th Anniversary Gallery Night and Day | artistisk
  22. Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside (out or outside in) « What’s (in) the picture?
  23. Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside « Jinan Daily Photo
  35. Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside « Rois
  36. Inside a shop window « Detours by Deepali
  37. Weekly Photo Challenge – Inside | Just Snaps
  38. Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside « Words And Peace
  39. WEEKLY PHOTO CHALLENGE: Inside (Churches) « mywordwall
  40. life in a brick « primo piano
  41. Last Thoughts: Inside (the WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge) « The Positive Page
  42. WEEKLY PHOTO CHALLENGE: INSIDE « Francine In Retirement
  43. Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | Life of Colors
  44. Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside « Healthcare Updates
  45. Weekly Photo Challenge – Inside « Think Big Much
  46. Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | Wanderings of an Elusive Mind
  47. WEEKLY PHOTO CHALLENGE: INSIDE « 2012 – ON THE BENCH
  48. Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | Four Deer Oak
  49. Photo Journal/ Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside «
  50. Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | Nature in the Burbs

45 Responses to “Inside”

1. Judy

Great entry! I love your photo story! And standing by the garbage bin….oh wow! You were strong and determined to get in the shop! ;)

2. Angelique

Did the Man Vs Food challenge involve eating all these donuts? Lucky guy :) Those shoes do look a bit out-of-place but it’s in keeping with the last shot ‘keep Portland weird’.

3. nelsonRN

Cute story! And I was glad that in the end, it was worth the wait. Make my mouth water to think how delicious the doughnuts are :)

4. Gilly Gee

This is fab, I’ve never heard of it! I don’t eat meat but even so the bacon and maple concoction sounds delicious :-)

5. Penny Goodman

Did the VooDoo when I was in Portland last month. Decided it wasnt worth the wait, altho I have it on good authority the Maple Bacon is truly stunning…..I’m thinking the place has to be eclectic in appearance to keep everyone occupied during the wait. All the while, waiting in line, I was having flashbacks to my childhood: my bedroom was that same shade of pink. Urgh….

Don’t recall what sweets (2, no restraint button here) I wound up with, gives you an idea how memorable it was, huh.

IF YOU ARE STILL THERE………..GO HERE>>>>>>>>>>
    Waits that turned out to be worthwhile….TASTY AND SONS! WOW! Did supper and back for breakfast. Bacon wrapped almond filled dates were a delight! Golden raisin spinach with some sort of a citrus back flavor I couldnt pick out, yummy nummy. My steak topped with Mascarpone was almost fork tender. Two in our group shared the Bacon, Lettuce Fried Green Tomato sandwich with their freshly made mayo. Gotta do the Fettucine Ragu! If Ave had gotten served just a touch more of it, I’d have taken it away from her!
    Breakfast was baked cherries, fresh cream and their delightful bread, crunchy toasted. Ragu polenta topped with a fresh, organic egg. LOVED IT!
    We skipped their desserts to go the little patissiere (sp) down the street; total stunner. Almond paste macaroons. Melted in my mouth and made me want 7 or 8 more.

And the Burger place across from the historic armory downtown on Sunday afternoon has me drooling for another now. Sliders. With fries in a paper cone. Their fry sauce is like none I’ve ever tasted.

Otherwise, this Wyoming chick needs her food and she needs it NOW!
    Since dining at Tasty, I have been hard pressed to get a ‘decent’ meal, other than one at home. And now that I am in the Land of No Casseroles, I am doomed.

• woven decor

Since son and daughter in law live in the area I’ll have to remember all the places you mentioned for when I’m out there next.

6. Penny

Funny story. I love the photo of the guy standing by the dumpster. Made me laugh. I would love to see more photos of the inside of the shop.

• woven decor

I wish I would have taken more. Not sure why I didn’t. And yeah, my husband wasn’t real impressed with standing by garbage :)

• Penny

I could tell. :))

I often return from a trip or photo outing and wonder what was I thinking. haha.

• woven decor

It was honestly a grungy, goofy little place with sickening pink walls and a lot of “sexual” innuendos (referenced donut…) but it was also really really tasty.

• Penny

I’d probably have to pass but I like the name. I worked with Adam Richmond of Man vs Food last summer in Dallas. I can see him there.

7. Angeline M

At first I thought the maple bacon doughnut idea was rather strange, but then immediately thought of maple syrup on pancakes with bacon on the side pickiing up some of the maple syrup….any yum! I would pick that one too. Just looks rather strange. Glad the wait was worth it.

8. fgassette

What a delightful post. You said the maple doughnut with bacon was worth the wait. I “doughnut” know about that. I guess you have to taste it to believe it. Great selection of photos and story for the challenge. Thanks for listing my blog.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

I appreciate your feedback.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: